Spiced Chickpea and Mango Salad
I admit that one of the things that is most difficult for me to eat at home in the summer are legumes, and the truth is that it does not surprise me because I am the first who, as soon as the heat arrives, only wants fresh things. Is it your case too? Well, I can only tell you one thing… You have to try this spicy chickpea and mango salad!
It is true that, at least in my case, we tend to associate legumes with more forceful dishes, typical of the coldest months of the year. And of course I will not be the one to say that I do not enjoy a good stew, with all its sacraments, but what is clear is that legumes go a long way.
And since I love chickpeas and I am always on the lookout for new recipes to prepare them in a salad during the summer, as soon as I saw this recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi I fell at his feet. It seemed to me that the combination of chickpeas with a touch of spices and the sweet spot of mango had to be a delight… And boy, is it!
During this summer I have prepared it many times at home, adding some ingredients and substituting others with respect to the original, and I can only tell you that at home they make me the wave every time I prepare it... and eating vegetables in these months is no longer a mission impossible for me!!!
Do you dare to prepare it?
WMF Perfect pressure cooker , Nezumi ceramic plates by Tokyo Design Studio , Le Creuset skillet pan and Pallarès carbon steel knife
Ingredients (for 4 people)
- 150g chickpeas (weighed dry)
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ground cayenne (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Olive oil
- 1 large mango
- 1 avocado
- 100g lamb's lettuce or arugula
- 100gr of curly goat cheese
- 1 lime
- The night before, soak the chickpeas in plenty of warm water.
- The next day, heat the WMF Perfect pressure cooker with plenty of water and, once the water starts to boil, add the chickpeas.
- We close the pot and put it on high heat until the second ring rises. At that moment we lower the heat, whatever is necessary so that it does not lose pressure, that is to say that the second ring does not go down, and we maintain the fire for 15 or 20 minutes.
- After that time we remove the pot from the heat and depressurize it. Drain the chickpeas and reserve.
- With a sharp knife , cut the onion into thin slices and set aside.
- Cover the bottom of the Le Creuset skillet with olive oil and when it is hot, add the onion and fry over low heat until translucent.
- When the onion is soft we add the chickpeas that we had reserved as well as the curry, turmeric, cumin, sugar, salt and cayenne if we decide to use it.
- Cook over medium heat for about 10 or 15 minutes so that all the flavors are well integrated.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and pour the chickpeas into a salad bowl to let them rest until they cool.
- While the chickpeas are cooling, peel the mango and cut it into approximately 2cm cubes. We booked.
- Peel the avocado (with the Tellier cutter, peel and cut in one go), and sprinkle it with a little lime juice to prevent it from browning. We booked.
- Once the chickpeas have cooled, add the mango, avocado, lamb’s lettuce or arugula, and crumbled goat cheese to the salad bowl.
- Dress with olive oil , the juice of ½ lime and salt, and sprinkle with the zest of ½ lime… and enjoy!!!
Le Creuset skillet pan , Pallarès carbon steel knife and Nezumi Ceramic Plates by Tokyo Design Studio
- The cayenne is totally optional, but I love the point that it gives the spice to this salad.
I am sure that as soon as you try this salad it will become one of the favorites at home! And if hot legumes are your thing, all you have to do is try this dish with warm chickpeas and replace the lamb's lettuce with fresh spinach... you'll see how you fall in love with it!!
Beatriz Ruiz-Zorrilla said:
Hoy hice la receta de garbanzos especiados con mango, rulo de cabra, etc. Espectacular, buenísima, totalmente recomendable.
Divina y distinta verdad? :) si la pruebas ya nos dirás qué tal. Un saludo!
lola fernandez said:
que rica ensalada, ademas de vistosa , me gusta mucho