Grilled Cauliflower with Harissa
I'm sure you already know how much I like to share recipes, both classic and those that go beyond the traditional way in which they are usually eaten. But different proposals, like this grilled cauliflower with harissa , are one of my favorites, because they give a twist to the usual way vegetables are usually cooked and are delicious.
Although there are many ways to prepare cauliflower, when we are slaves to the rush we always end up eating it steamed, boiled or pureed. But today I ask you to dedicate a little more time to it, just a few more minutes, so that you can enjoy it with a different flavor, roasted on an iron grill in two stages, first on the fire and then, seasoned with harissa, in the oven. I am convinced that you will like it so much that it will not be the only time you do it like this.
The slight spicy touch that the harissa gives to the cauliflower is offset by the wonderful accompaniments that I propose. Both the cooked lentils and the hummus will help cushion it, so even if you are not a big fan of this type of sauces, you will surely enjoy this complete and flavorful dish just the same.
Here you have the recipe. I hope you like it as much as I do.
INGREDIENTS (for 6-8 servings)
- 2 large heads of cauliflower
- 60 ml olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 140 g harissa sauce *
- 4 small red onions, cut in half
- Crispy capers (optional)
- Crispy sautéed curry leaves (or whatever sprouts you prefer unsautéed)
- cooked lentils
- Hummus seasoned with paprika and a splash of EVOO
*Harissa is a spicy sauce that goes wonderfully with roasted vegetables. If you haven't tried it, I recommend the one from Terre Exotique, which you can find here .
- Heat the oven to 180°C-200°C.
- While the oven heats up, heat the Le Creuset deep rectangular grill grate on the kitchen hob over medium heat.
- Cut the cauliflower into thick slices and drizzle with olive oil. Season them with salt and pepper.
- When the grill is hot, grill the cauliflower slices on both sides until grill marks are visible.
- Once both sides are roasted, brush with the harissa sauce and place the rack in the oven to continue roasting the cauliflower (it should take about 20 minutes or so until cooked).
- After 5 minutes, place the onions on the grill meaty side down and allow them to slowly caramelize in the oven during the last 15 minutes or so of cooking.
- Serve the cauliflower slices with the roasted onions and accompany them with the lentils. Sprinkle with crunchy capers and curry leaves (optional), or with some arugula leaves or green sprouts of your choice.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve with the harissa and a delicious hummus to accompany.
- You can also try this recipe with broccoli, romanesco or purple cauliflower, for example.
- If you are not a spicy lover, you can replace the harissa with a little paprika. Lightly sprinkle the cauliflower with the paprika before placing the grill in the oven.
- You can buy hummus at your trusted store, but making it at home is very easy and quick and the result is very delicious. You can see how to do it here .