Crispy zucchini strips
I love zucchini! And the recipe that I bring you today is perfect to enjoy it. These crispy zucchini strips are a perfect option to accompany meat, chicken, fried eggs or fish for lunch or dinner. And they are also a wonderful snack to snack on between meals, at any time of the day!
Although to eat them crispy the ideal is to eat them freshly cooked, if there is any left over (which I seriously doubt) they are a temptation that you will not be able to stop falling into until they are gone. If you don't believe me, do them and you'll see.
In this recipe, the cooking of the crispy zucchini strips is done in the oven; but you can also fry them in your air fryer or in the pan and you will see that the result is equally fabulous, with that crunchy and aromatic point that is achieved with the mixture of breadcrumbs, Provençal herbs and Parmesan cheese.
An easy and wonderful recipe, with which in addition to taking advantage of the slices of stale bread that you may have left in the kitchen, you can present a different accompaniment to your meals or prepare a very attractive snack to dip in cheddar cheese sauce ( or any processed cheese), in yogurt sauce or in the delicious tzatziki sauce. Here you have it!
Ingredients for 6 people
- 9 slices of bread*
- 1 and ½ tablespoons of flour
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 and ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of Provençal herbs
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 3 zucchini
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: grated Emmental cheese or 4 cheeses, for baking
*If you don't have sliced bread, you can use slices of your usual bread.
- First of all, you have to make the breadcrumbs. To do this, you can use stale bread or slices of fresh bread. To dry the bread completely, place the slices on a baking tray and put them in the oven preheated to 100°C for 15 minutes. Turn them over and let them bake for 15 more minutes. If you are using fresh bread, turn them over again and leave them for 15 more minutes. Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Place the bread in the chopper and chop until fine crumbs form. If you are using the KitchenAid P2 Cordless Chopper , set speed 2 and pulse 10 to 15 times.
- Put the breadcrumbs in a deep plate or bowl and add the flour, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, herbs de Provence and salt. Mix everything well.
- Wash the zucchini and cut them into strips or sticks. You can do it by hand with a kitchen knife, a mandolin , or a vegetable cutter.
- Place a silicone mat or a sheet of baking paper on the oven tray and lightly brush with a little EVOO.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Dip the zucchini pieces in the beaten egg whites and then in the breadcrumb mixture, until they are well covered and impregnated. Place the zucchini strips on the baking tray.
- If you want to make crispy cheesy strips , now is the time to add grated cheese on top of the zucchini strips (optional).
- Bake the strips in the preheated oven at 230°C for 10 minutes. Turn them over and bake another 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
IMPORTANT! If you want, instead of making the zucchini strips in the oven, you can also fry them in a saucepan, high frying pan or iron fryer (the traditional way with oil) or in an air fryer without oil (which have become so popular turned).
- In your daily life, the bread that goes uneaten, that is left over or that dries out, don't throw it away! Let it dry completely (you can even take advantage of turning on the oven to put it in for a few minutes) and chop it in a processor or chopper, so you will always have breadcrumbs at home for your fried foods. Always keep it in an airtight container.
- You can vary the mixture of Provençal herbs using the ones you like the most, add your favorite spices or add a spicy touch to give them a different flavor. This way, every time you make them they will be a different accompaniment.
- If you prefer, cut the zucchini into slices instead of strips.
- They are an ideal accompaniment to roast meats and fish, and if you dare to serve it as an appetizer, I recommend that you do it with some dipping sauce: cheddar cheese sauce (or any melted cheese), a yogurt sauce, in the delicious tzatziki sauce or even in barbecue sauce.
- Try preparing the eggplants in the same way, you will see how delicious they are!