Baby squid risotto
As you probably already know, risotto is a traditional dish of Italian cuisine that stands out for its creaminess and delicious flavor. This preparation is very versatile, and can be made with a wide variety of ingredients, which makes it an ideal option to adapt to our taste. Among the most emblematic risottos, the mushroom risotto, the cheese risotto, or this black squid risotto stand out with which you are going to succeed.
This exquisite recipe does not lack the classic creaminess that a good risotto should have . And with the flavors of the sea and the freshness provided by the squid ink and the delicious squid, I assure you that each bite is better than the last. A preparation that, accompanied by a good salad, is a wonderful dish to enjoy on any occasion.
For the result to be perfect, we will cook the risotto in the WMF FusionTec cast iron skillet . Thanks to its rapid heating , its fantastic heat retention and the speed with which it transmits it to food , it is a perfect piece for cooking all types of recipes, from the most traditional to the most demanding and sophisticated.
Take note, because here I leave you the recipe for this wonderful black squid risotto that will delight everyone at home.
For the squid:
- 250 g squid (ready to cook)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 organic lemon
- 1/2 bunch of parsley
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Espelette pepper (or some hot paprika flakes)
For the risotto:
- 1 medium onion or 3-4 shallots
- 800 ml fish broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 200 g arborio rice or carnaroli rice
- 10 ml of Noilly Prat vermouth (dry vermouth, or failing that, white wine)
- 10 g cuttlefish ink
- 4 shallots
We prepare food:
- Wash the squid and dry them with kitchen paper.
- Crush the garlic, without removing the skin (you can crush it with the blade of a knife).
- Grate the peel of the lemons and squeeze the juice.
- Finely chop the parsley leaves.
- Reserve everything.
For the risotto:
- Heat the fish broth in a saucepan.
- Peel the onion and chop it finely.
- Heat a generous tablespoon of butter in the WMF FusionTec cast iron frying pan ; Next, add the onion and sauté it until it is transparent.
- Add the rice and sauté lightly until it changes color or becomes transparent.
- Add the vermouth and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring well to coat all of the rice.
- Lower the heat, and then add the hot fish broth, gradually adding it by ladles, so that the rice is barely covered at all times (it is important to keep the heat at a medium temperature, not high, to give it time to cook). make the rice, without burning or sticking).
- Stir the rice to help the liquid boil, uncovered. Keep the boil and gradually add the broth until it is finished.
- When there is little broth left in the rice, shortly before finishing cooking, add the cuttlefish ink and stir well.
- Add the rest of the butter, turn off the heat, stir well to distribute the butter throughout the rice and make it very smooth, and let the risotto rest for another 5 minutes, covered.
- While the rice is resting, heat the olive oil in the pan with the garlic. Add the squid in several batches and fry them over high heat for 1–2 minutes (do not add the salt now or they will lose a lot of water).
- Remove them and put them in a bowl. Season them with salt, Espelette pepper, lemon juice, lemon peel and parsley.
- Plate the risotto and place the squid on top.
- You can replace the Espelette pepper with some spicy paprika flakes or, if you don't want that spicy touch, you can use sweet and sour paprika.
- In the case of vermouth, you can replace it with a little dry white wine.
- You can also add some peeled shrimp tails along with the squid, some shelled mussels or some cockles.
- Remember that, to get the creamy texture of the risotto, you must add the hot broth little by little, stirring constantly so that the liquid you have added is absorbed before adding more. This cooking technique for risotto is known as "mantecatura."
- To make risotto you need a large surface but also high sides, like the one provided by the Fusiontec frying pan. Failing that, you can use a saucepan, the Balti Dish or a kettle.
- Not only does risotto cooking have its own technique, but the best way to enjoy it, with all its flavor, aroma and creaminess, is served in a dish designed for it. Pasta and rice dishes, like this one from Laura Ashley or this one from House Doctor, have a bowl-like shape specially designed for this type of recipes.