Roasted ham with vegetables
Roasted ham is a classic Christmas or not so Christmas dish; For example, in Galicia it is a very popular dish with its sauce.
Imagine: a piece of pork patty that we cook first, to make sure that we soften it, and that we finish roasting it in the oven so that it releases its fat and is perfectly golden. Oh, and we accompany it with potatoes, sweet potato and onion. What Americans call full-fledged comfort food .
I know what you are thinking: yes, the patorra can only be baked in the oven, the time would be at least 2.5-3 hours, of which the ham should be covered for at least the initial 1.5-2 hours to that does not dry out
- A piece of pork shoulder, with or without bone, 2.5 - 3kg
- 2 carrots
- 1 leek
- 3 onions
- a sprig of rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- A splash of sweet wine
- 100g of honey
- 3 tsp. old-fashioned mustard
- 3-4 potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato
- Salt to taste
- We start by salting the shoulder well the night before and placing it in a large pot or cocotte .
- The next day, we peel the carrots, the leek and one of the onions, and put them in the casserole with the ham, together with the bay leaf, the rosemary and a tablespoon of salt.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil. We keep cooking over low heat, with the casserole covered, for at least an hour and a half, to make sure it is tender.
- Let the ham cool in the cooking liquid. We save the ham broth to concentrate it or for another use; It can be frozen, it is excellent to add it to stews.
- When it is cold, we remove the ham to a board and remove the skin and some of the superficial fat, although the latter is not essential (don't throw away the skin: it can be dried in the oven cut into strips and some wonderful crusts remain).
- We make some grid cuts in the fat and insert a clove at each intersection of the lines.
- Heat the honey a little in a bowl, add the mustard and mix. Paint all the ham with this seasoning (it should be left over to brush it during cooking); we put it in a large baking dish .
- Peel the potatoes and the sweet potato, as well as the two remaining onions. We cut these into quarters and the potatoes and sweet potato into slices; we put it all around the ham.
- We pour 3-4 ladles of the broth from cooking in the fountain, as well as the drizzle of sweet wine. We salt everything well, because the tubers and onions are sweet.
- We put the source in the oven preheated to 180°, at a low level, and roast for 20 minutes. We remove the source, paint again with honey, and return it to the oven for another 20 minutes or until it is well golden on top.
- When the ham is ready, we take out the source, cover everything with aluminum foil and let it rest for 10 minutes; this serves so that the juices are distributed again to the surface of the ham, which has dried out.
- Cut into slices and serve with the vegetables and some sauce.
This baked ham with vegetables has a delicious sweet and sour touch of honey and mustard that goes well with pork. An easy dish to make and that comes out at a very good price even though it seems almost luxurious, don't you think? Perfect for the upcoming parties. And if you have any left over, it is fantastic for sandwiches and sandwiches of all kinds.
Lo hice hoy para comer, esta muy bueno, pero lo encontre un poco seco. Cogi jamon en lugar de paletilla, podria ser ese el motivo?. Gracias!!!