Chicken and beef fondue with broth
In view of the festival of San Juan, Loreto, author of Sabores de Colores , proposes a totally festive recipe that will fill the table with color, joy, good food... and little preparation work! Go ahead and try this fondue, because it is most likely different from the ones you have tried so far, and it will be a sure hit among all the guests.
San Juan is just around the corner and I want to propose a recipe that I think is great for a celebration as joyful and among friends as this is. Apart from giving you a genuine and fun moment among yours, it will give you very little work, which is always appreciated!
The delicious recipe that I bring you today is a fondue , but not just any: the one we always prepare at home is a fondue based on chicken and beef broth. This time no oil and no cheese! A fondue that, in my opinion, derives from the Chinese version of the hotpot, and that is much lighter than the ones we are used to tasting, be it the cheese, oil or fudge version.
Its secret is to use a good chicken or beef stock, well seasoned, in which we will cook the meats that we like the most, you can even add prawns if you like the sea and mountain combination. Meats that we will accompany with potatoes or rice and season with the sauces that we prefer.
At home we love it, we always end up laughing defending our meat skewer, and it is the perfect excuse to have a good time and enjoy a relaxed lunch or dinner.
Ingredients for 4 people)
- 1.5 liters of chicken broth
- 3 sliced mushrooms
- 3 garlic sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 thinly sliced carrot
- 2 whole small garlic cloves
- 50 ml dry white wine
- 1 sprig of thyme
- sweet paprika
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 kg beef, preferably sirloin
- 1 kg chicken breast
- We start by preparing the meat. To do this, we will cut them into cubes of about 2 cm and dress them as we like. At home we usually pepper both, spray them with a little oil and sprinkle them with paprika, mix well and serve them on different plates.
- Next, with the meats ready, we have the caquelon (the iron casserole) of the fondue on the fire. If you are in a hurry, you can carry out this step in a frying pan: add a tablespoon of oil and sauté the garlic, garlic sprouts, mushrooms and carrot, and once they are slightly golden, add the white wine and let the alcohol evaporate.
- Next, once off the heat, cover with the boiling chicken broth, previously rectified with salt and pepper.
- Once we have the broth ready in the caquelon we can arrange it in the fondue support that we will already have on the table and we will turn on the accessory at the base of the same, to keep it warm. We already have that tasty chicken bottom on point!
There is nothing left to enjoy!
I advise you to serve the fondue accompanied by rice or stewed potatoes. Always all accompanied by the sauces that you like the most. At home they always change depending on the day we prepare it but what never fails is a good mustard, a ketchup to which we add a little honey and curry or a good homemade chutney. I already tell you that it will depend on your tastes.
Shown, Le Creuset cast iron fondue, and Le Creuset mug set
oh! Do not forget the advantage of preparing a good broth fondue, as with a good stew we will end up enjoying it. I like to add two beaten eggs once the meat is finished and serve it in cups before moving on to dessert.
Although I admit that if it's very hot you won't feel like it, so listen to me and save it, it will be the ideal background for a good rice.
NOTE : If you want more ideas for cooking in fondue, I suggest you see the post " Cooking in fondue ".