Beautiful and easy to make, apple roses are undoubtedly one of those recipes that become a classic wherever they go: with the step-by-step that we detail, you will see that you resort to them on any occasion, from the day you You have a whim to turn on the oven to look very good with your invited guests.
We also bring a version of the fastest , because we suggest you make use of refrigerated shortcrust pastry. That being the case, it is as easy as preparing the apple so that it becomes flexible, placing it and baking.
The day of the Book and of the Rose is approaching, so we hope that these edible roses are not missing on your table as well.
Ingredients (for 6-8 roses)
- 2 sheets of shortcrust or shortcrust pastry
- 4-5 red apples , which are firm (Gala or Pink Lady type)
- 1 lemon
- Sugar glass
- Cinnamon and brown sugar (optional)
- Squeeze the lemon and pour the juice into a large bowl with water. We booked.
- We need thin apple wedges of 1% apple. Therefore, we cut the apples in half, we take out the core and cut very thin slices (we will cut segments one millimeter thick on each side of where the apple core was). We can help ourselves with a mandolin or a thin and sharp knife. We are transferring the segments that we cut in the bowl with water and lemon (to prevent the apple from oxidizing). We have not previously peeled the apple, because by keeping the skin the red color will make the roses more beautiful, apart from giving them consistency.
- Now we must soften the apple, so that it is more flexible and when forming the roses they do not break. To do this, you can put the bowl with the apple in the microwave for about 3 minutes, or put water and apple in a saucepan with water and put it on the fire. It is advisable to check the state of the apple: remove when you see that you can bend the segments, so that they do not break. The thinner they are, the faster it will happen.
- Stretch the breeze dough and cut lengthwise strips of about 5 cm.
- Drain the apple that you had in water well.
- Prepare the Le Creuset muffin pan by lining it (brush with butter, sprinkle with flour, and turn the pan to let any excess flour fall out).
- It's time to assemble the roses: go placing the rose segments along the dough, using only half the width of the dough, and overlapping them (as seen in the photo).
- When you have placed the segments lengthwise, fold half of the dough over the apple and roll up the strip that you have obtained (from one end, roll the dough over), thus obtaining the apple rose.
- Place the rose in the muffin pan, and repeat the process with the rest of the dough and apple, until finished.
- Bake for about 50 minutes in a preheated oven at 180ºC, until the roses and especially the dough are baked. Place them in the lower part of the oven, so that the dough cooks properly before the apples cook too much.
- Let the mold cool on a cooling rack .
- Before serving, sprinkle icing sugar on top, and a bit of cinnamon if you're as big a fan of it as I am.
- If you want to make the homemade shortcrust pastry, you can follow the recipe that you will see here . The dough, work it after being in the fridge for a while, and you must leave some thin plates to be able to make some decent roses (if you do not flatten the shortcrust dough well, there would be very thick and unsightly roses).
- If you like cinnamon and the woody aromas of brown sugar or panela , apply them in advance: sprinkle both cinnamon and brown sugar on top of the roses before putting the mold in the oven.