Zucchini and feta pancakes
Healthy, fun, tasty and very easy to prepare. These zucchini and feta cheese pancakes have everything to make you succeed with yours or to give yourself a personal whim. They can be served as a starter or as a garnish, although nothing prevents them from being the protagonists of the appetizer moment.
They are made with very local ingredients and bear the seal of the Mediterranean marked on both sides. To make them perfect, it is important to drain the zucchini well, which, as you know, releases a lot of water, so that, when you add the rest of the ingredients, you obtain a compact and manageable mass.
Ingredients (for 4 servings)
- 2 zucchini
- 1 spring onion
- 2 eggs
- 180g feta cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint
- 1 sprig of fresh dill
- 2 sprigs of fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika flakes
- ground black pepper
- 60-80 g wheat flour
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Wash the zucchini well, remove the ends and discard them. We pass the rest through a grater or, as I have done, we grate them with the Magimix robot .
- Remove and discard the outer layer of the spring onion and also the ends of the leaves. Cut the rest in half and grate it.
- Mix the zucchini with the chives and place them inside a cloth or cheesecloth. We hold the ends and turn, applying pressure so that the zucchini and onion release their water. We drain as much as possible.
- Beat the eggs in a wide and deep bowl. Add the feta cheese and crumble it.
- Next we add the lemon zest, the herbs, all of them finely chopped, and the spices.
- Add the drained zucchini-onion mixture and mix well.
- We finish the dough by adding the wheat flour and stirring until obtaining a homogeneous mass.
- Heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in our iron skillet and drop tablespoons of the mixture, gently squashing to form a pancake.
- Fry the pancakes over medium heat for five minutes on each side or until they get a nice golden color.
- We serve freshly made or cold, either way they are great. Especially if we accompany them with a bowl of sour cream or yogurt sauce.