Giant French toast with caramelized banana
A giant French toast flavored with vanilla, fried in oil and butter, and accompanied by caramelized bananas... All sprinkled with melted chocolate! In my opinion, it is a perfect combination, which turns this recipe into that of delicious and definitive French toast.
Yes, it is interesting to think that it is a dish to prepare and eat, since it is important to eat hot French toast, chocolate or bananas. So it is an ideal breakfast for the weekend, to enjoy calmly.
I hope you are encouraged to prepare them, because they are delicious.
If you have leftover Easter cake, brioche, pastries... you can also follow the recipe with that pastry, It's a great way to take advantage of it!
For the caramelized bananas
- 60g granulated sugar
- 60 ml of water
- 4 small bananas,
- 50g of butter
For the French toast
- A large loaf of white bread (you will need 8-10 slices of bread)
- 4 XL eggs
- 65 ml of milk
- 5ml vanilla extract
- Olive oil and butter for frying
At your service
- 100 g of melted dark chocolate
- 10 large white marshmallows, cut into chunks or discs
- Digestive biscuits, crushed
How to make caramelized bananas:
- Peel the bananas and cut them crosswise
- Put the sugar and water in a pan* and heat little by little until the sugar dissolves and begins to caramelize.
- When the sugar is golden and bubbly, add the bananas, flat side down, and fry in the caramel.
- Flip once and add the butter.
- When bubbles start to appear in the butter, turn off the heat.
- Reserve the pan until ready to serve.
*I recommend using an iron skillet, such as a skillet or a wooden handle, because apart from cooking 100% naturally, when cleaning it, you will be able to remove the caramel remains without any problem.
We prepare the pancakes:
- Cut the bread into three large slices if you are using round bread, or into 8 or 10 slices if you are using loaf bread.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, milk and vanilla extract.
- Heat a Le Creuset 11-inch cast- iron high skillet or wood-handled skillet ; add olive oil and a tablespoon of butter.
- Once the butter is foamy, it will be time to put the soaked bread.
- Put the bread in the bowl briefly, so that it is soaked (turn it so that it is wet on both sides, just before frying it (do not wet it excessively so that, being large slices, they do not crumble or break due to absorbing too much liquid) .
- Put the bread in the pan and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Repeat with the rest of the bread.
- The torrijas are delicious just prepared.
- Place the torrijas in a dish, sprinkle them with the melted chocolate, cover them with the caramelized bananas, place the marshmallows on top and use a kitchen torch to caramelize them.
- Sprinkle with the crushed cookies, pour a little more chocolate as a final decoration and serve immediately while hot.