Baked apples with caramel sauce
Today I put my Nordic Ware grill to use again and it was not for making potatoes. No. I wanted to try something new and it occurred to me to make a great pastry classic, baked apples. Because although the device in question is baptized as a "potato grill", there are other foods and preparations in which we can use it. I'm already thinking about roasting sweet potatoes or pumpkin next time.
Baked apples are one of those desserts that you always want. We can already be invaded by the fashions of American, Japanese and beyond sweets, that I do not know anyone who makes a baked apple ugly. Especially if it's freshly made and accompanied by a handful of toasted almonds and caramel sauce. A treat, hey.
Nordic Ware rotisserie , Pallarès carbon steel knife , Revol Color Lab porcelain cup , Le Creuset ceramic ramekins , Küchenprofi stainless steel saucepan and Emile Henry crème brûlée container
Ingredients (for 4 units)
- 4 Royal Gala or Pink Lady apples
- 20g brown sugar
- 5g ground cinnamon
- 10g of butter
- 10 g of almonds in sticks or chopped
For the caramel sauce:
- 100g brown sugar
- 30g of butter
- 30 g of water (2 tablespoons)
- 50 g of crème fraîche or liquid cream
- Cut the butter, which must be very cold, into four equal cubes and reserve in the fridge until ready to use.
- Wash and dry the apples well.
- With a very sharp knife , we make a superficial cut in the diameter of each one. We want to cut only the skin to prevent it from bursting in the oven and cracking anywhere. This makes it more aesthetic and the presentation improves considerably.
- Remove, with the help of an apple corer or a ball punch, the top of each apple.
- Place the apples on the four supports of the grill , pressing gently, inserting them halfway. If we fall short, the apples will come out when they soften in the oven, so we press without fear.
- We fill the holes in the apples with a teaspoon of brown sugar, a pinch of ground cinnamon and a cube of butter.
- We place the grill on an oven source that collects the juice released by the apples when roasting and that we will then use. I have used the ceramic mold from Emile Henry, which is just the same diameter as the grill and cleans like a charm.
- Cook in the oven, preheated to 175ºC (with heat above and below), for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile we prepare the caramel sauce. To do this, place the brown sugar, butter and water in a saucepan . Bring to a boil and cook over a very low heat for 15 minutes, so that the sugar caramelizes. Remove from heat and let cool for five minutes.
- Add the crème fraîche and stir with a whisk until incorporated.
- When the apples are ready, we remove them from the grill and use the juices they have released to enrich the caramel sauce.
- We serve immediately.
Le Creuset mini silicone brush , Emile Henry crème brûlée containers , Revol Color Lab porcelain mug , Küchenprofi stainless steel saucepan , Emile Henry round ceramic mold , Le Creuset ceramic ramekins , Nordic Ware roaster and Pallarès carbon steel knife
Oooh, Marina, muchísimas gracias!!
Me encanta tanto tu tienda, como tus recetas. Un saludo.