How to make caramelized pecans
I love caramelizing nuts. Caramelizing is such an absolutely simple, fast, clean process that gives you so many options. I think that many people do not know how easy it is or do not keep in mind the infinity of uses that can be given to caramelized nuts. So today I remind you 𝐂Ó𝐌𝐎 𝐇𝐀𝐂𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐔𝐄𝐂𝐄𝐒 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐙𝐀𝐃𝐀𝐒:
- Put an iron skillet on the fire.
- Put a few handfuls of California walnuts (which are of quality, which shows in the result!).
- Add a few tablespoons of sugar (a couple of tablespoons for every handful of nuts you have put).
- Let the sugar begin to melt and stir the pan so that the nuts are impregnated with the caramel that is being made. Let them dance!
- Remove them after a few minutes. Yes, very few... after 3 minutes of being there you will see that they are caramelized. Remember that the caramel can burn quickly, so don't get distracted and remove them as soon as you see that they are sticky and the caramel is hard (you will see that it crystallizes quickly, more if you stir them a little with a spoon).
Note: You already have some delicious caramelized nuts ( you can do it with cashews, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts ... Whatever you want!).
Uses for Caramelized Walnuts
If you are wondering how to use caramelized walnuts, I hope to inspire you with these proposals:
- Use them as they are for a snack (they will love them at home), either as an aperitif or as a dessert with coffee;
- Without a doubt you should add them to your salads, they marry perfectly in green salads with goat or sheep cheese, with apples and other fruits (I invite you to prepare this one ); as well as in pasta salads, rice or legumes.
- When you make melted cheese in the oven, in a cheese maker , you can add nuts or other caramelized fruits... They taste fabulous!
- For a vinaigrette, you will see that something chopped and with Modena or honey vinaigrettes are great.
- To accompany a fish or also with roasted meats.
- To accompany roasted fruit, such as apples and roasted pears - with caramelized nuts they are a luxury breakfast or dessert.
- To make sweets (from muffins and cookies to biscuits, either in fillings or to decorate them). Also in the porridge it is very good.
- To make ice cream (at least you should use them in the traditional vanilla ice cream that is so well known).
Caramelized nuts and fruits have a large number of applications. How do you enjoy them?
About the Skillet
You know I said before that making the nuts was easy and clean? Making them in the iron pan is super simple, because the sugar heats up quickly and you get the sugar in a few seconds... but then you pass it for a moment in water and, since you can rub it without any problem with a scourer, you remove the remains of the sugar that they dissolve quickly, in seconds.
If you are looking for more Skillet pan recipes, both on the fire and in the oven, I encourage you to see this other post .
En vez de nueces de Calofornia, creo q deberíamos de consumir las autóctonas. Son mucho más sanas y ricas y es mucho más sostenible!
Qué alegría que te guste, Conchita! Claro que sí, verás qué de usos les das :) ¡Saludos!
Hola Montse, qué buena propuesta! ciertamente se puede caramelizar con algo de agua y azúcar. A mi personalmente me gustan más duras y crujientes, y sin añadir agua el proceso es realmente rápido, pero seguro que habrá aquí personas que agradecerán mucho tu propuesta . ¡Gracias mil!
Conchita Tortosa said:
Me encanta, lo voy a hacer ya, me voy a comprar ya las nueces! Jajajaja
Montse Sabata Vidal said:
Por cada vaso de nueces, medio de agua y medio de azucar quedan blandas y caramelizadas, perfectas.