Coke from Trempo
Today we land in Mallorca to enjoy one of its traditional dishes, the well-known Coca de Trempó , a simple recipe that is always a success. For both informal and not-so-informal dinners, presenting it in
individually and with some extra ingredient that I will tell you at the end of the recipe.
It is a base made with bread dough and topped with trempó, which is a salad of peppers, onion and tomato, seasoned with salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil. Out of curiosity, if you look closely, the trempó ingredients are the basis of many other recipes that we all know of Spanish cuisine. If you remember, you will see how many times these ingredients are used as the basis of many recipes or simply to enrich the dishes. This coca is very typical in the summer months. It's great for picnics, snacks, or dinners, but I love making it year-round.
For the mass:
- 300g flour
- 180g water
- 12g fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Trempo:
- 3 plum tomatoes without skin or seeds*
- 1 red bell pepper cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper cubed
- 1 green bell pepper cubed
- 1 chopped onion the approximate size of the peppers or julienned if you want - it is an ideal cut for this recipe too -
- extra virgin olive oil
Emile Henry ceramic tray and Pallarès knife
- We start by preparing the dough: In the KitchenAid bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water that was previously warmed, add the flour and mix. With the help of the dough hook, knead for about 10 minutes or until we have achieved a uniform and elastic dough.
- Let the dough rest covered for about 30 minutes or until it has doubled in volume.
- In a bowl , mix the peppers, onion and chopped tomatoes. To cut them, a cutter like the Treppo will do very well, so you will get homogeneous cubes and you will do it in a moment. Season with salt and pepper and dress with two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Mix well and let the flavors mature.
- Once we have the dough on the way and the trempó maturing, we preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- Strain the trempó to remove excess oil and reserve.
- On a floured base, spread the dough with the help of our Le Creuset wooden rolling pin .
- The ideal would be to get the size of the ceramic tray from Emile Henry or Le Creuset , on which we are going to bake and later present the coca.
- Once the dough is spread out, we prick it and cover it with the trempó.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the dough is golden and the vegetables are cooked.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. We cut into portions and bring to the table.
We can eat coca just as it comes out of the oven, which is delicious, or as I told you before, adding accessories such as some balls of sobrassada and semi-cured cheese, black olives... A truly delicious combination, and once the we die-cut and give it individual shapes, it can be a fantastic dish to present as a starter at any dinner you may have in mind and that you want to surprise.
********* Things that may interest you ***********
- * To peel the tomatoes I tell you how is the best way: make a cross on both ends in the skin with a lace, immerse them in boiling water, cook for 2 minutes and remove to ice water. In this way they are peeled in a very simple and fast way.
- To cook this recipe, the Le Creuset ceramic baking tray is also very suitable.
Emile Henry ceramic tray and Pallarès knife.
Pues si soy mallorquina y de toda la vida se hace como dice Isabell Sobrino ,aunque el relleno puede ponerse de muchas verduras ,según la temporada.
Ay muchas gracias Isabel! En su momento me enseñaron a prepararla así pero sin duda la primera que voy a probar la receta como la explicas soy yo! Muchas veces me resulta complicado dar con la receta original, me pasa incluso con las recetas de la gastronomía canaria que tengo más a manos. De nuevo muchas gracias y me pongo manos a la masa!
Isabel Sobrino said:
Soy mallorquina y hago esta coca de toda la vida, no es masa de pan, lleva lo mismo de agua que de aceite de oliva (todavía queda mejor si se pone una parte de aceite de oliva y otra de manteca, un poco de sal, harina que no sea de fuerza (la que se beba según receta tradicional) y lo de la levadura es opcional, yo no pongo y no pasa nada, tiene que estirarse mucho y no lleva tanto pimiento, más tomate y la cebolla queda mas buena si se corta en juliana.
En la cocción debe quedar la pasta muy fina y crujiente.
Si probais esta receta vereis que es deliciosa.